www.longleafchurch.org
info@longleafchurch.org

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Speed















It seems like my oldest daughter, Anna, should be about 7 years old. She turns 12 this Monday and it makes me want to cry. Life is silly fast. Anna is a gifted kid with a tender heart. I'm not just saying that. She is a special kid. Like all parents, I want all the best for her and my other two great kids (Em and Harmon).

Tonight, my family had dinner with an awesome group of college students. It occurred to me that Anna is closer in age to the college students than I am. Wow! How can this be?? Didn't I just graduate from college? There is no other measurement of time so profound as the age of your children. As children move from elementary age to college age, their life becomes so much more autonomous. This is an intuitive truth but the speed of life just takes me aback. Children are provided with lots of structure as they grow up (hopefully) and college instantly grants them great freedom. I want to ensure that our parental influence will sustain itself as my kids discover life, make mistakes, learn and eventually leave home (if I let them).

As I contemplate how fast my kids are growing up, I feel the significance of impressing God's truth upon their hearts (Deuteronomy 6:7). I pray that I am modeling Jesus for my children and that they are all growing in wisdom and truth. Do my kids see my faith? Do my kids see me make wise decisions and trust God no matter what? Does Anna see the passion and wonder of a growing relationship with Jesus Christ reflected within my heart? Here's two important question for parents;

  1. Am I consistently making relationship deposits into the lives of my kids? Am I leaning into the uniqueness of each one of my kids and making them feel loved?
  2. Am I consistently discussing God's truth with my kids?
I better be able to say yes to these questions. I can't abdicate this stuff. It's up to me and Amy. What happens at home is more important than what happens at church for the spiritual growth of my kids. However, imagine a church culture that doesn't just promote this "Family Ministry" lifestyle to me but comes alongside me through intentional relationships. Imagine another adult and/or an older kid investing themselves into the lives of my children and reinforcing biblical truth to them. I want those relationships for my kids and I believe that relevant ministry environments which are anchored with relational small groups can represent that for them. This passion for Family Ministry is a part of the DNA of Longleaf Church and I am excited to know that these relationships will be a part of the lives of my kids. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking that church is something that you're just suppose to do. I want them to experience the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment