www.longleafchurch.org
info@longleafchurch.org

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sunrise














This past weekend, I spent some quality time in the outdoors with some guys who seem to have successfully blended their unique passions with their unique talents. Each one of us are driven to pursue this unique convergence of our gifts and our passions. When we start getting close to this ideal or this dream of what our lives could represent, an uncommon energy fuels our souls and purpose is discovered.

My friends John and Michael are cinematographers. These guys create art through film. They will rise at 4AM or climb 65 feet up in a tree to capture a certain angle or shot that they envision. Trust me on this, they took me along for the ride. As I watched the splendor of sunrise in the forest with John and Michael I felt like I was a part of something larger than myself. It occurred to me that the remarkable beauty of creation is not just a monument to God's majesty, it serves to remind us that our lives can reflect the remarkable nature of His truth. When we accept the covenant of salvation and follow Jesus we discover that He will guide us on a journey of passion and purpose. Following Jesus is no mundane deal. It's the opposite. You can trust me on that too.

In Isaiah Chapter 55, the prophet Isaiah poetically expresses the salvation covenant and he personifies the redeemed life through nature. He personifies redeemed lives as mountains bursting into song and trees clapping their hands. As nature flourishes and buds through rain and snow, our lives can flourish and bud through the living water of the Word (Isaiah 55:10-11). He has endowed us with splendor (Isaiah 55:5). Sunrise brings light to the forest and reflects the splendor of nature. In the same way, redeemed lives reflect the light of the world. This light emanates from within our very souls. Hang on to that thought for a moment. It doesn't seem like my life should be quite so significant to the God of creation.

I am fired up to know that some people in Middle Georgia believe that church is not simply the transfer of a body of knowledge but a movement fueled by passion and purpose. Longleaf Church is about creating environments where people can do life together, grow in truth, serve strategically and birth a movement. We want to create a church culture that reflects the splendor of Jesus and attracts un-churched people. I am looking forward to our next gathering this Sunday evening!

2 comments:

  1. I think its great that you have started a blog for Longleaf. It will be so neat to read this very first one down the road. I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Stuff Bro. We are excited about what GOD is doing in Middle GA and what he is doing in our lives......

    ReplyDelete